Circular Economy Silk Processing
The Circular Economy Silk Processing will manage the life cycle of organic resource – cocoon from Bombyx Mori (B.M.) larvae, from extraction of the raw silk through the design and manufacturing of new products, using the waste materials from the silk production process and receiving new by-products with re-manufacturing and recycling operations, the so-called “Industrial symbiosis approach”.
Using smart design of technological cycle and re-designing approach will allow:
- To use the full potential of the Sericultural process;
- To use the natural resources in the most efficient way with no waste;
- Waste materials will be returned in the manufacturing process as secondary raw materials;
- To source sustainability of the incoming materials – the Bombyx Mori cocoons.
This new technological and business approach will lead to a new sustainable and economically valuable manufacturing plant in Bulgaria, mitigating negative environment externalities.
We are going to apply closed circular approach with zero waste, zero environment pollution, essential green growth and significant social impact in the Danube Region in Bulgaria.
Eco-design, eco-innovation, waste prevention and the reuse of raw materials can bring net savings for EU businesses of up to EUR 600 billion. Additional measures to increase resource productivity by 30 % by 2030 could boost GDP by nearly 1 %, while creating 2 million additional jobs. AGRY_GAYA Project’18 will be a good example for further development of the EU guidelines and policies, as well as a pilot project in this direction.
Product Portfolio Diversification:
- Raw Silk – The main product of our production is the organic raw silk. Textile Industry is the main consumer of this product. It is an extremely pure, natural product that has been used in many industries throughout the world for centuries;
- Pupaе – Another substantial product that is disposed of as waste from production are pupae. Our closed production cycle will create and produce protein powder from those waste material. It is used in the food industry and its very valuable food for rearing animals and fish. Also, the purest natural protein, without the use of preservatives, colorants, sugars and other harmful substances;
- Sericin – is a very valuable product for the cosmetic and medical industry all over the world;
- Biomass production – under a special technology, ready to be used for energy production sector;
- Food Supplement – The most innovative product is our nutritional supplement, made on the basis of pupae, 96% pure protein along with other natural substances that help to support the activity of the gastrointestinal tract and serve as antioxidant and regulator of many vital processes for the human body.
Diversification of Markets & Industries:
- Textile Industry – EU, USA, Japan, Canada, Turkey, Middle East /ME/;
- Feed and food Industry – USA, EU, China, Japan, Switzerland, Turkey, ME;
- Cosmetic Industry – EU, USA, Canada, Turkey, ME;
- Pharmacy Industry – USA, Japan, Switzerland, ME, EU.
New wave and future:
- Biosensors industrial plant – Silk proteins are the strongest natural proteins known so far. Through them they create optical devices that will be implanted in the human body as an aid in removing tumors, artificial cornea of the eye or other type of surgery;
- Silicon chip manufacturing – Electrodes placed in the brain of a person have the ability to provide location and time information for the occurrence of epileptic seizure. A grate constructed using a silk substrate is placed in the required part of the brain. Under the action of capillary forces, the grid of thin silk threads begins to bend – simply repeating the shape of the cerebral cortex in this place as if it were packing it. So he sticks to it, at the same time does not harm the brain;
- Silk proteins prolong the shelf life of medicines – L-Dopa, which is used to treat Parkinson’s disease, is of great importance. L-Dopa aims to replace a brain chemical called dopamine that is lost in this disease. Researchers have found that if L-Dopa is produced along with a protein matrix of fibrin, it is valid even after 10 days;
- Bio compatible silk fibers are used actively in operations. Scientists even try to develop blood vessels and heart valves using these fibers. Silk is extremely comfortable for work and bonding, and the knots are well characterized.
- Optical Devices industrial plant – Development of biosensor and bio detector silk implants that are placed under the muscle fibers in a specific part of the body and have the ability to restore tissues. A 100 micron thick silk film through which 90-95% of the falling light of the entire visible spectrum passes is used for the needs of ophthalmology.